- Get consent; don’t assume.
- Create open and honest conversations.
- Be responsible for your actions.
- Ask before engaging in sexual activity.
- Date with respect.
If you aren’t sure… ASK!
If you can’t talk about something because you are too embarrassed… you aren’t ready to do it!
- Based on choice
- Actively given
- Possible only when there is equal power
- Asked for
- Given when both people are sober
- Two people deciding to do the same thing, in the same way, at the same time
Consent is not…
- Going along to avoid being hurt
- Being drunk
- Letting a person into your room
- Assumed in an intimate relationship
- The absence of resistance, defense wounds, screaming, or fighting back
- Just because you’ve already gone this far or because of fear, shame, or guilt
- Just because you “owe” them
This information brought to us by Pittsburgh Action Against Rape [Paar]