Today is the Trans Day of Remembrance.
One of the professed goals of the Campus Women’s Organization is to “represent the women of the University of Pittsburgh and their interests, namely: education, empowerment, full representation, reproductive justice, and expression of all their identities.” To do that, we need your help. Sometimes it is difficult to know how to help. Here’s the play-by-play:
1. Attend an event and say their names (of the trans folk who have died/been murdered/committed suicide)
2. Uplift the work of trans and non-binary people
3. Support orgs that improve the lives of trans people
- The Audre Lorde Project (http://alp.org/)
- Casa Ruby (http://www.casaruby.org/)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (http://srlp.org/)
- Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement (http://familiatqlm.org/about/)
- TGI Justice (http://www.tgijp.org/)
- Translatin@ Coalition (http://www.translatinacoalition.org/)
- Trans Women of Color Collective (http://www.twocc.us/)
Because transwomen are women.
They’re also people worthy of love and respect just like you.